Rhode Island

New Providence residents at ease

Long traffic jams at Chelsea's Choice on Abundant Life Road yesterday.  Photo: Moise Amisial

Long traffic jams at Chelsea’s Choice on Abundant Life Road yesterday. Photo: Moise Amisial


[email protected]

Residents of NEW Providence generally did not seem bothered by the arrival of Tropical Storm Nicole as many in the city casually prepared for it.

Forecasters predicted residents of New Providence would experience tropical storm conditions last night. The storm is expected to hit Grand Bahama today as a Category 1 hurricane while bringing tropical storm winds to Abaco.

The Tribune combed several grocery stores yesterday where shoppers casually stocked up on a few items for Nicole.

Anthony Eulin, who was with Xtra-Value, said he wasn’t afraid of Nicole and the potential impact.

“There’s no hurricane coming here, we’re just going to have a lot of rain, that’s it. We’ll be straight; this is a praying nation and a praying country,” he said.

Mr Eulin told this newspaper he was in the shop to stock up, as he regularly does.

Many shoppers shared the same opinion as Mr. Eulin that they didn’t feel like rushing to the store but mainly getting essentials.

Grocery aisles were tight and shoppers tossed a few items into their shopping carts.

Another shopper, Debra, who was accompanied by a friend, said she waited in a long line at Purity Bakery before entering the store.

She said: “We were loaded with loaves of bread. I have about six and she has about five. They had a long line up at the bakery, it’s amazing to see people on the street already.”

Although Debra said she took the trouble to prepare some groceries for Nicole, she said she wasn’t panicking about the storm’s arrival.

She said: “I didn’t panic, for me I didn’t even know that schools are closing today (Tuesday) and that government offices are closing until this morning (Tuesday morning).”

However, when this newspaper visited Chelsea’s Choice water depot on Abundant Life Road, there was a huge line of cars that snaked around the road, bringing traffic to a standstill.

Customers waited anxiously in their cars, bumper to bumper, hoping to be served.

Larry Martin told this newspaper that he was at the water line for over two hours while waiting for his water bottles to be refilled.

“I was parked at the line from 9am this morning; it is now 11:30 am. It’s just ridiculous, you know. The line moves, but it’s just a snail’s pace.

“I need to fill my seven bottles because we’re not sure what this storm is going to do,” Mr Martin said.

Another customer on the line also complained about the long wait but said she was grateful the line had moved. She also suggested that police should have been in the area to control traffic so things could have gone more smoothly.

A deputy operations manager at Chelsea’s Choice Water admitted there was chaos yesterday morning as many customers waited to be given drinking water.

“At 7.15am (yesterday) we started serving the cars to get them out, not just because of the storm. Usually we do this because people have to go to work or have to do school runs.

But this morning (yesterday) it was messy. I had the line around the corner. I had two queues this morning so I opened the gate extra early to divert traffic off the street,” the manager said.

The manager also clarified that the water depot did not run out of water yesterday but had a technical issue with one of its machines that caused a delay.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button