HOUSTON Winner of the first two games of the season opener, the University of Houston’s No. 3 men’s basketball program returns to the Fertitta Center to host Oral Roberts in the first game of the Cougar Classic at 7:00 p.m. Monday.
Houston enters the first of three games this week after an 81-55 win over Saint Joseph’s in game one of the Veterans Classic from the Alumni Hall on the US Naval Academy campus on Friday. In the first meeting against the Hawks, freshman forward Jarace Walker had a game-high 23 points with eight rebounds, two assists and two steals.
With just 16 field goals, the Cougars Veterans Classic set records for biggest win and fewest field goals.
This season, Roberts and Walker lead the team with 15.5 points per game, with Walker leading all players with 10.0 rebounds per contest.
Junior point guard Jamal Shead dished out a team-high 17 assists in nearly 66 minutes with just two turnovers. The Manor, Texas native ranks sixth in the nation with 8.5 assists per game.
Marcus Sasser, preseason first-team All-American, ranks third on the team with 14.0 points per game and leads the team with 3.0 steals per game. The Dallas native needs just 118 points to finish 50thth 1,000 point scorer in Houston career history.
Monday’s game will be the first of three games in the Cougar Classic. Oral Roberts meets Texas Southern on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. in the H&PE Arena on TSU campus. The Cougars meet Texas Southern at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Fertitta Center.
2022-23 BUY TICKETS
Fans can now purchase single-game tickets to the Cougars’ 18 regular-season home games at the Fertitta Center. Supplies are limited and fans are encouraged to buy soon before they run out.
To purchase single game tickets, fans may call the Athletics Ticket Office at 713-GO-COOGS (462-6647) during regular business hours or click here At any time.
For the third straight year, the Cougars sold out season tickets to home games at the Fertitta Center.
Fans who were unable to purchase season tickets in 2022-23 are invited to join the team’s 2023-24 waitlist as the Cougars prepare to attend the Big 12 conference. Fans can join the waiting list for 2023-24 season tickets click here.
ABOUT ORAL ROBERTS
• Oral Roberts have a 1-1 record in 2022/23… The Golden Eagles are 0-1 away this season.
• In their most recent action, the Golden Eagles recorded a 95-62 home win over John Brown on November 11, 2022 in Tulsa. Oral Roberts opened the season with a 78-70 loss in Saint Mary’s (California). Nov 7
• Against John Brown, all five starters had double-digit points, with senior forward Connor Vanover and junior guard Issac McBride leading the way with 19 points each. Senior guard Max Abmas finished the game with 18 points and four 3-pointers and hit a game-high with nine rebounds. Senior guard Carlos Jurgens totaled 13 points with a game-high five assists, and senior guard Kareem Thompson added 11 points with five rebounds and three threes in the win.
• This season, Abmas leads Oral Roberts with 16.0 points and 8.0 rebounds per game and is tied with Jurgens at the top of the team with 4.0 assists per game. He is one of five Golden Eagles to average double digits this season.
• Vanover is second on the team with 15.0 points and 7.0 rebounds per game but leads the roster with 7.0 blocks per fight. McBride ranks second with 15.0 points per game while Thompson averages 12.0 points per game. Jürgens is in fifth place on the team with 10.5 points per competition.
• Head Coach Paul Mills is in his sixth season at Oral Roberts and as a collegiate head coach.
• Mills has a career record of 77-80.
• Mills meets Houston for the first time in his career on Monday.
• Monday’s game marks the first time in Lange’s career against Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson.
• 1996 Graduate from Texas A&M.
SERIES STORY vs. ORAL ROBERTS
• Oral Roberts have led 1-0 in series history since the 1973/74 season.
• In the only previous game, Oral Roberts defeated the Cougars 118-109 on December 28, 1973 at the Oklahoma City All-College Tournament.
• Fans can watch Monday’s game ESPN+ with Matt Pedersen (play-by-play) and the great Houston resident Reid Gettys (analyst) directing the action.
• Fans can continue listening to Monday’s game 950 a.m. KPRC or The Varsity Network app with Jeremy Branham calling the action.
• Fans can follow live stats by visiting them StatBroadcast.com and follow the appropriate links or by clicking here.
• After Monday’s game, the Cougars complete their time in the Cougar Classic when they host Texas Southern on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. at the Fertitta Center against Texas Southern.
• This game will be broadcast on ESPN+.
• From there, the Cougars head for their first real road test of the game when they take on #21/21 Oregon at 8:30 p.m. CST on Sunday at Matthew Knight Arena in Eugene, Oregon. This game will be shown on ESPN.
• All Houston Men’s Basketball games can be heard on 950 AM KPRC.
SUPPORT HOUSTON RISE
Connect Houston risea $150 million fundraiser for Houston Athletics dedicated to the championship’s success at the Big 12 Conference.
Everyone Houston rise Post prepares our cougars to compete and win when we begin Big 12 competition in July 2023. click here get up and be counted.
Join the 50-50 CLUB
Fans are invited to join the 50-50 Club to support Houston Men’s Basketball. 50-50 Club Members help fund program needs and enhance the experience for our student athletes.
Fans who join the 50-50 Club will receive Jordan Brand embroidered team apparel, invitations to exclusive events, regular program updates and more.
For more information or to register, fans can visit uhcougars.com/5050club or click here. To join the 50-50 Club, fans can call Cougar Pride at 713-743-GoUH (4687).
STAY IN CONTACT
Fans can get updates by following @UHCougarMBK on Twitter and click to find out about news and information about the team HOW on the team’s Facebook page UHCougarMBK or visit the team’s Instagram page at UHCougarMBK.
– UHCougars.com –