New Mexico

Albuquerque Head: Man who pulled officer Fanone into mob at US Capitol sentenced to over 7 years


The man who dragged former Washington, DC Metropolitan Police officer Michael Fanone into the crowd of violent rioters on Jan. 6, 2021 while shouting “I’ve got one!” was sentenced to 90 months in prison on Thursday.

In the lower tunnel of the West Terrace, a small entrance to the Capitol, the anti-police mob fought the police cordon—including Fanone—that was protecting the building and those inside using chemical spray, batons, batons, and their own batons and shields.

During that battle, a man named Albuquerque Head pulled Fanone away from his fellow officers, wrapped his arm around Fanone’s neck and, according to court documents, yanked him into the crowd, consuming Fanone and knocking him unconscious.

“These were some of the darkest acts on one of our darkest days,” District Judge Amy Berman Jackson said before delivering the verdict Thursday.

“He was your prey, he was your trophy,” she said of Fanone, later adding that the officer was “protecting America” ​​that day.

Head, of Kingsport, Tennessee, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer in May and has been jailed since April 2021.

During the Jan. 6 hearing, prosecutors played video from Fanone’s body-worn camera, showing Head Fanone initially saying, “I’m going to get you out of here.”

“Thank you,” Fanone replied.

Fanone testified during the sentencing hearing that he initially thought Head was trying to help him. Seconds later, however, Head yelled, “I’ve got one!” to the mob.

Fanone testified that he felt Head “choke me and dragged me out into the vicious crowd” and held Fanone down as another rioter stabbed him. The officer suffered a heart attack when rioters beat him and repeatedly stabbed him in the neck, Fanone said.

“Show Mr. Head the same mercy that he showed me on January 6,” Fanone told the judge Thursday. “None.”

Michael Fanone

Former DC Metropolitan police officer describes what GOP leaders said to him after the riot

The footage also showed Fanone’s first words as he regained consciousness as officers carried him into the Capitol. “We took back the door?” he asked his fellow officers.

Fanone is now a CNN contributor.

Head chose not to speak during Thursday’s hearing.

“Head appears before this court of honor as a 43-year-old seeking redemption and mercy,” his defense attorney Nicholas Wallace wrote in a sentencing memo, noting that his father had died in prison and his mother is in “failing health.”

Head’s attorney also accused his clients’ long criminal records of a past addiction to opioids and other drugs, saying his crimes came to a “screaming halt” after he sobered up a few years ago.

Head’s fiancée and mother of his two daughters attended the sentencing hearing Thursday and wrote a letter to the judge on Head’s behalf, which Jackson called “raw” and “true.”

Reading from the letter, Jackson remarked, “It is the women who will suffer.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button