Appointment time:Nov 12, 2022 / 2:30pm CT
Side? site: Minneapolis
Stadion: Huntington Bank Stadium
Turn up: FieldTurf
Total Series: Minnesota leads 55-36-5
strand: Minnesota won 2
Minnesota Series: Minnesota leads 30-15-3
strand: Minnesota lost 1
Last meeting: Minnesota won 41-14 at Evanston (10/30/21)
TV: BTN // Jeff Levering (PXP), Matt Millen (Analyst), Elise Menaker (Reporter)
Radio: KFAN | SiriusXM: 119 or 196 | SXM App: 958 // Mike Grimm (PXP), Darrell Thompson (Analyst), Justin Gaard (Reporter), Tanner Hoops (Host), Dan Rowbotham (Engineer)
FIVE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
1. Minnesota (6-3, 3-3 B1G) begins its final quarter of the regular season on Saturday as it hosts Northwestern (1-8, 1-5) at Huntington Bank Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30pm on BTN with radio transmission on KFAN.
2. Mohammed Ibrahim has rushed 202 times for 1,083 yards (5.4 average) and 15 touchdowns in eight games this season. He posted those numbers despite missing the Purdue contest and not playing past the opening second-half drive in any of the first three contests this season. In the process, he has extended his streak of 100-yard rushing plays to 17 straight games, stretching back to the 2020 Outback Bowl. According to ESPN, Ibrahim’s streak is the longest of any FBS player since 2000. During the current streak, Ibrahim has rushed 453 times for 2,462 yards and 33 touchdowns. He has averaged 5.43 yards per rush and 144.8 yards per game over that span and has added 14 catches for 99 yards. He had three games for 200+ yards during his streak, 11 games with at least two rushing touchdowns, five games with three or more points, and a pair of four-TD games, tying Minnesota’s single-game record. For more information on Ibrahim, see page 5 of the Minnesota Game Notes.
3. Minnesota has one of the best and most versatile defenses in the nation under the defensive coordinator Joe Rossi. The Golden Gophers rank seventh in the country by conceding 273.6 total yards per contest. They also have the No. 4 defense in terms of scoring (14.2 ppg) and allowed passing yards (162.9) and the No. 19 rush defense (110.7). Minnesota is the only team in the country to place in the top 25 in each of those categories, along with Boise State, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan and Ohio State.
4. Matthew Trickett was named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week following his performance in Minnesota’s 20-13 away win in Nebraska. The fifth-year-old notched his two longest field goals of the season, first from 47 yards on the third quarter’s opening run to cut Nebraska’s lead to 10-3, and later from 49 yards in the fourth quarter to give Minnesota their first lead in the game at 13-10. He also went 2-of-2 on point-after-tries and scored eight of Minnesota’s 20 points in the game. The 49-yard field goal was the second-longest of his career and one yard short of his career mark of 50 yards. Trickett has since become the first gopher to receive Special Teams honors from the Big Ten Mark Crawford made it last year and became the first kicker since Emmit Carpenter in 2018. See page 9 of Minnesota’s Game Notes for more on Trickett.
5. The 2022 season is the sixth for the head coach PJ Fleck in Minnesota, where he holds a record of 41-26. He is already fifth in program history for wins and sixth in Big Ten wins (24) and games coached (67). Fleck’s .612 win ratio is the third-best among 11 Minnesota coaches with at least 45 games under her management, behind only Henry L. Williams (.786, 1900-21) and Bernie Bierman (.716, 1932-41, ’45-50). ). In his 10th overall season as a college head coach, Fleck is 71-48 (.597).
You can read Minnesota’s full game notes here.