@EKUFootball Game Day: Colonels visit Jacksonville State on Saturday
RICHMOND, Kentucky— EKU takes its final road trip of the regular season this Saturday when the Colonels visit FBS transition opponent Jacksonville State.
The game will be broadcast live on ESPN+ with kick-off scheduled for 2:00 p.m. ET. Chase Robinson will handle play-by-play duties, with Mickey Shadrix serving as analyst.
Live radio coverage of the game is available in the Richmond area on WCYO 100.7 FM and can be heard worldwide on EKUSports.com. Greg Stotelmyer, Jim Tirey and Wes Chandler will be on the phone.
WITHIN THE SERIES
– Saturday marks the 19th meeting in the series. Jacksonville State leads the overall series 10-8.
– EKU and JSU made their first appearance on the field in 2003 when JSU earned a 49-14 win. The Colonels defeated the Gamecocks 39-31 in double overtime last season.
– The Colonels defeated Central Arkansas 42-14 last Saturday to give the Bears their first ASUN loss of the season.
– Wide receiver Cornelius McCoy hauled in a 28-yard touchdown reception last weekend, giving him his fourth touchdown catch in EKU’s last three games.
– Wide receiver Jaden Smith recorded six catches for 71 yards against the Bears. Smith has five different games this season with at least six catches and 60 receiving yards.
– Defenseman John Blunt Jr. and linebacker Jaylen Herrud Everyone counted their first interceptions of the season on Saturday. EKU’s defense has intercepted two passes in four different games this year.
– defender TK McLendon Jr. had his fifth sack of the season against UCA, giving him the most sacks by a colonel in a season since Aaron Patrick’s 10.0 in 2019.
– Wide receiver Jayden Higgins has received seven touchdowns this season, the most by a colonel since Ryan Markush’s nine touchdowns in 2017.
-Quarterback Parker McKinney is the only player in ASUN to have 30 touchdowns (23 passing, 7 rushing) this season.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– Jacksonville State was free last weekend after beating Austin Peay 40-16 on Oct. 29.
– The Gamecocks are moving to FBS, where they will join Conference USA in July 2023.
– Wide receiver Perry Carter scored his first touchdown with JSU on a 48-yard catch against the Governors.
– Defenseman Jamari Jemison returned a blocked field goal 69 yards for a touchdown against APSU and gave the Gamecocks their first blocked field goal return for a goal since 2008.
– Safety Deco Wilson recorded a career-high eight tackles in the win over Austin Peay.