MALIBU, California – Mike Mitchell Jr. sunk seven three-pointers and scored a career-high 23 points to lead the Pepperdine men’s basketball team to an easy 91-62 home win over Alabama State on Sunday afternoon.
The Waves (2-1) overtook the Hornets (0-3) by 52.4% to 33.3%, never falling behind and leading by as much as 39 points in the second half.
- Sophomore Guard Mike Mitchell Jr. (San Jose, Calif./Archbishop Mitty HS) made his first six three-pointers to finish the game 7-10 from beyond the arc. He was 8-for-13 from the field overall. He also had five assists and two steals. Mitchell’s previous career best was 18 points at BYU last season.
- senior forward Jan Zidek (Prague, Czech Republic) scored in double digits for the first time this season, scoring 12 of their 15 points in the first half.
- Sophomore Guard Houston Mallette (Alameda, Calif./Pacifica Christian HS) sank four threes and had 14 points left with six rebounds and four assists. It was his 29th straight game with a three-pointer.
- Sophomore forward Maxwell Lewis (Las Vegas, Nevada/AZ Compass Prep) contributed 12 points, five assists, two steals and two blocks.
- freshman forward Jevon Porter (Columbia, Mo./Father Tolton Catholic HS) had 10 rebounds in the second game in a row.
GAME BY GAME
The state of Alabama never led the competition. The Waves took their first double-digit lead 16-6 after a second forward dunk Boubacar Coulibaly (Bamako, Mali/USC) with 13:43 in the first half. Mallette and Mitchell sunk three points to start a 12-0 run that extended the lead to 28-9. Alabama State didn’t hit double digits until 8:49 stayed in the half. Pepperdine’s first 20-point lead came on a three-pointer from Mitchell, making it 31-11. An 8-0 ASU run later closed the gap to 37-25, but the Waves ended the half with a 10-0 run, seven of them from Zidek, to go 47-25 at the break.
The Waves had a 15-2 run early in the second half that was capped by another three-pointer from Mitchell to take a 32-point lead at 62-30. At 62-32, Mallette hit a three and Mitchell sank two in a three-possession sequence, giving the Waves the biggest lead of the game at 71-32 and 12:40 left. That made the overall run 24-4 over almost seven minutes.
- The Waves made 13 of 27 threes (48.1%) and held the Hornets to five marks.
- Pepperdine blocked nine shots with a team high three Carson Basham.
- Alabama State was led by TJ Madlock’s 17 points.
Pepperdine resumes its three-game home game on Tuesday (Nov. 15) against Vanguard at 7:00 p.m. The game will be streamed on the WCC Network.